This isn't an error card; that's clearly Tony The Gwynn at bat wearing Scott Sanders's #27 jersey. As a matter of fact, it even says so on the back:
So, why was he? As a kid I always wondered and thought of all sorts of reasons why. I thought maybe somebody had stolen his jersey (he is Tony Gwynn, after all) or maybe he was just messing around or playing a practical joke of some sort.
Turns out it was nothing all that exciting. According to Sanders himself, "Tony Gwynn forgot his jersey at the hotel for a spring training game and had to hit in mine- his first at bat." Kind of anti-climactic but I suppose it's nice to know that even the greatest amongst us screw up now and then. I can only hope that twenty years from now some punk won't be writing about a picture of something stupid I've done.
- 5 Jedd Gyorko cards that don't exist (but should)
- 5 Alexi Amarista Baseball Cards That Should Exist
- 1 Topps Card For Each Year The Padres Have Existed
- A Look Back At The '96 Padres
- A Dozen Or So Padres Haikus
- The Life and Death of Craig Stimac
- Nine Padres Included In 2013 Topps Series 1
- It's A Friar Festivus!