Alright, all. After a nearly four month delay, Opening Day is finally, FINALLY upon us. So what better time than now to bring back what was one of the longest running Gaslampball.com traditions? That’s right, I’m talking about the annual Padres Prediction post! This post ran every year, from 2006 to 2018 (which is a freaking lifetime in terms of the internet), before a series of unfortunate events caused the 2019 Prediction post to never make it onto the site. This actually happened to be one of my favorite posts of the year, so damnit, I’m going to fix that right meow.
So, as per tradition, here’s your mission, fellow ‘Ballers. Down in the comments section, post your answers to the following questions:
1) What will be the 2020 Padres’ record?
2) What place will the Padres finish in the NL West?
3) Who will win the National League Western Division?
4) Which Padre player will be traded before seasons end?
5) Who would be the Padres All-Star(s) (if the 2020 All-Star game hadn’t been canceled)?
Predict the World Series Champions, major award winners (Cy Young, MVP, etc.), playoff field, whatever else you are so inclined.
I’ll start this off:
- The Padres will finish 33-27 on the year, good for...
- 2nd place in the NL West (and a Wild Card spot!), finishing just behind...
- The most hated L.A. Dodgers, who will go 40-20 to win the NL West.
- Despite his status as one of our more reliable arms, LHP Joey Lucchesi gets traded before the end of the year, mainly to make room for the arrival of MacKenzie Gore.
- If there had been an All-Star game, Kirby Yates and Fernando Tatis Jr. would’ve represented the team.
As for the World Series, I see the Braves upsetting the Yankees in a six-game series, mainly due to the two-way excellence of NL MVP Ronald Acuna Jr. The Braves will make their way to the Series by upsetting the Dodgers in the NLCS, thereby once again denying the Dodgers a shot at the title for another year despite the fact L.A. basically prints money and has more good-great players than anyone else in the league.
So those are my predictions. What are yours? Have at it!