In a tribute to friend and fellow Gaslamper Joe Lanek, here’s a collection of links and ramblings from the recent happenings around the Padres and in other news. While I lack the sharp wit and effortlessness of words that my good pal possesses I might be able to get this car running again. Let’s get into it.
So we gotta start with some tunes, and I’d be doing a disservice to our Manager if I didn’t throw out this:
If you haven’t heard The Teal Album yet I recommend checking it out even if you’re not huge on the Weezer wagon. The boys handle some covers with ease and alongside the above post some surprises (I didn’t expect anything near as heavy as Paranoid). Much like the song suggests, the Padres don’t want no scrubs, which leads us to...
- Ok...seriously, the whole back end of January felt like the episode Gossip from The Office. Random Twitter accounts making claims that Manny Machado and/or Bryce Harper are signing with the Padres, someone accusing Kevin Acee of having a smaller person inside him working him with controls, most fans questioning whether they love the team or want to boycott...it’s been a mess out there. Who knows what to believe? I can tell you at least this much: the Padres have yet to meet with Manny Machado though are interested. The team shuttled Ron, Peter, and AJ Preller (presumably business class) to Vegas to meet with Bryce Harper. Despite two backstops already in hand JT Realmuto remains on the table. That’s about it. Don’t read into anything else until someone with a blue checkmark or a push notification confirms it.
- What? You want more news? Have you read that brown is coming back?
- Oh, so the Padres are also interested in Gio Gonzalez? This is probably the least exciting news since Ian Kinsler but someone’s gotta throw the ball every 5th game until more intriguing options are ready.
- Keith Law has declared Fernando Tatis Jr. his top prospect in all of baseball ($$). Whatever your nit to pick on Law is, it is of some comfort that our future shortstop ranks so highly on most lists. Law posits that Tatis gets the nod over Vlad Jr. due to a premium defensive position and Vladdy’s size limiting him to 3rd or at worst, 1st base in the future.
- If you want something to get really steamed at, read this Deadspin article on the Padres regarding the rumor vortex.
- Here’s the list of non-roster invitees the Padres will be hosting this Spring Training. No, no word on the hats yet...
Elsewhere in baseball:
- Next year’s big free agent fish and current Rockie Nolan Arenado just cleared a one-year $26 million deal to avoid arbitration, the richest such deal since...last year’s Josh Donaldson deal with the Blue Jays. Arenado is arguably worth the scratch in this case.
- The Houston Astros reloaded their starting rotation with the signing of Wade Miley to a 1 year deal. Is this where I should mention Dallas Keuchel/Padres rumors? Nah.
- Yesterday was what would have been Jackie Robinson’s 100th birthday (NY Times). To mark the occasion MLB will engage in a year-long celebration of the iconic player with celebrations, remembrances, and outreach beyond just Jackie Robinson day on the 15th of April.
- Old friend Freddy Galvis is off the market: he’s headed to the Blue Jays on a 1-year deal and will reunite with another old friend in Clayton Richard.
- If you haven’t heard yet, it’s finally February and that means baseball is back this month!
This is where I’d regale you with a funny story or something amusing on Twitter, but outside of the rumor mill there ain’t nothing going on. Most of the Midwest is frozen solid and I have no idea what that’s like.
- Hat pic? Hat pic.
Day 394/365— ℍ (@SDHatGuy) January 30, 2019
We at #365DaysOfPadres firmly believe that Tony Gwynn would have hit .400 in the lost 1994 season. Today's @Padres hat is the exact model that Mr. Padre wore that year, complete with 125th anniversary pin. There's another "what if" to be found here... pic.twitter.com/At5Iv7uARi
When is the #365DaysOfPadres train coming to a stop? Stay tuned. If you’re jonesing for more hat content, check out this article I penned over at SD Hat Collectors regarding a remake of a error-filled remake...
- I guess there’s some kind of big game happening this weekend, but I can’t remember which one. Thunder/Celtics, maybe?