A breaking update since our last news on the return of brown a couple weeks back is the latest Kevin Acee article in the SDUT detailing the Padres making their intent to change uniforms official to Major League Baseball starting in 2020.
The brown is coming back.
Another round of focus groups this past Wednesday and Thursday displayed the team’s intention to switch back to brown with a menagerie of brown uniform combinations and styles for fans attending to make judgement on. Acee details a few choices on home and away uniforms though some detailed information from sources has fleshed out the options up for consideration. The following information is purely secondhand and unverified.
- A brown cap with gold interlocking SD
- A brown cap with gold and white SD similar to the 2016 cap logo.
- A recolor of the current home uniform with possible brown/yellow layered soutache. The interlocking SD should continue to serve as a sleeve patch.
- A recolor of the 2016 home uniform with layered brown and yellow soutache.
- A pinstripe version, most likely white with brown pinstripes a la the 1985 version. The current wordmark is used with the interlocking SD on the sleeve.
The biggest word on the street regarding the away options is the possible removal of San Diego as an away wordmark.
- An all-dark tan/sand option. Gray doesn’t seem to be in consideration as an away color; the team might be looking to really differentiate. Darkness of the tan/sand color has been hard to pinpoint, but it’s been noted to be darker than the former sand away unis of the mid 2000s.
- A recolor of the navy away alternate uniform in brown with a gold logo.
- The Friday Alternate is rumored as being considered as a possible away jersey.
- Pants used alongside the colored away tops include dark tan/sand and dark tan/sand with pinstripes.
It’s unknown as to which exact direction the team will look to go with the brown on the uniforms though the information above should give fans of the Back The Brown movement plenty to be excited about. The Padres have until May to make their decision on the uniforms and submit to MLB. Nike will get the first crack at making the brown happen on-field as the newly-announced official supplier of uniforms and footwear for Major League Baseball starting in 2020.