Bud Black on sending down Jedd Gyorko, Wi Myer's close return & when Morrow/Johnson might return http://t.co/6L7WpQfBBG— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) June 10, 2015
- Jedd Gyorko was told about 3 weeks ago that he'd be getting starts against left handed pitchers in a platoon situation. He had a tough April and bounced back a little bit in May. Padres need more performance out of Gyorko. He's being sent to AAA to work on specific things with his swing and get ABs. Black thinks this will be beneficial for Gyorko and the club. When a player is producing they'll play. Gyorko understood the reasons for being demoted. He was disappointed, but he's not going to pout.
- Gyorko came into camp last year in shape, but possibly not in "baseball shape". He lost weight and muscle. The league made an adjustment to Jedd and he didn't adjust back as quickly. He also had some mechanical issues with his swing. He came into camp this year with more weight and more strength. He was pressing after a rough start. His work ethic has been fine. There are no concerns about his attitude. If a team is winning/producing you can afford to carry a player in the lineup that is struggling, but that hasn't happened with the Padres thus far. It was a mutual decision between A.J. Preller and the coaching staff to demote Jedd.
- Brandon Mauer and Joaquin Benoit will not pitch tonight so they called up Nick Vincent as a reinforcement.
- There's a high probability that Wil Myers will be activated before tomorrow's game.
- Black counts 6 players to choose from when he chooses the 3 outfields and 1B. He'll look at match ups when assigning positions.
- Matt Kemp will not start tonight's game. Justin Upton will probably have the day off tomorrow so he'll be ready for Kershaw on Friday.
- Last night's loss after a 5-0 lead with James Shields was a tough one. The team has a lot of resolve though.
- It's important to win a series against the Dodgers. They're looking forward to facing Kershaw. Greinke has been really tough on the Padres. Odrisamer Despaigne, Ian Kennedy and James Shields need to pitch well to win.
- Black isn't sure who is closer to playing again Josh Johnson or Brandon Morrow. He's tell Darren in two weeks.