- Things are going "okay" with Byrnes. He's trying to figure out the Padres offense. He's looking at it in every way, shape and form. He wants to find out why the team isn't performing. Players haven't performed in 2014 as they have in previous years.
- "I'm concerned." It's June and the team isn't winning games or making up ground in the NL West race.
- Byrnes isn't entirely sure what's wrong with Chase Headley. Headley has been a little banged up this year. Byrnes says that he's not 100% healthy, but he can't go into specifics. He may be feeling the pressure of it being a contract year.
- Byrnes talked to two GMs this morning. It's getting to the point in the year where they are focusing more on the trade market. They need to play better in order to dictate strategy.
- Byrnes won't evaluate the manager or hitting coach in a public forum. He's looking at changes every day with both on-the-field and off-the-field positions. There aren't always better alternatives available.
- Byrnes thinks the draft as a whole went "really well". He feels they got two athletic picks in the first two rounds.
- The team got to know Johnny Manziel pretty well when he came out to Petco Park in the winter. Byrnes asked him if he wanted to be drafted and he did. Byrnes has never seen him play. In the 28th round it's really hard to find value. "It doesn't hurt."
"I'm the last person to make a mockery of the draft, it's an important time of year for us. We never would have done it if it got in the way of a more substantial pick." -Josh Byrnes
Byrnes doesn't understand why fans would be upset with the Manziel pick. "I'm the last person to make a mockery of the draft, it's an important time of year for us. We never would have done it if it got in the way of a more substantial pick."
- The Giants are blowing away the field right now. The Padres need to play better. The season isn't a lost cause.
- Jedd Gyorko had soreness in the Chicago White Sox series. He had an MRI and it was determined he had a Plantar Fasciitis. He's wearing a boot for 10 days and letting the shot take affect and let the tissue calm down. Byrnes thinks a good idea for Gyorko to go to the minors and reset his swing and his season.
Padres GM Josh Byrnes reveals why he chose Johnny Manziel
My notes from the interview in bullet point form.