- When Bud Black used to pitch he'd take the mound to "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones.
- The players and coaching staff are anxious to end Spring Training and start playing meaningful games.
- Black says that in a lot of areas they're ready to go, but losing Josh Johnson was a real bummer. All the other pitchers are in pretty good shape physically. Position players are where they need to be, but Carlos Quentin is pressing a little bit.
- Tommy Medica has played well, but the decision will come down to the wire. "We're really putting a critical eye on him." Medica, by far, has more at bats than anybody else on the team this Spring. He's tried to make a statement.
- Xavier Nady and Kyle Blanks have swung well too.
- Chris Denorfia has a cranky shoulder and missed the last few days but will be ready for Sunday.
Yasmani Grandal has done a nice job of getting back into playing shape. Black hasn't decided who will catch Cashner on Opening Night. They'll choose whoever will give them the best chance to win. Normally he doesn't consider the pitcher and catcher relationship.
- The 5th starter won't be used until the 10th game of the season, but they have to carry him out of camp. Black says the reason is you can't recall a player that has been optioned down in the first 10 days unless there is an injury.
Bud Black interviewed by Darren Smith
My notes from the Buddy Black interview