- Byrnes feels a real confidence in the Padres clubhouse.
- The pitchers had their first bullpen session. They looked good.
- Josh Johnson feels great. He threw the ball very well. Even if Johnson isn't the pitcher he was in his prime, he can still have a positive impact on the team.
- Nick Hundley and Josh Johnson live in the Vegas area and they spent time working out together in the offseason.
- Even if Johnson pitches at his best this season, the Padres won't necessarily lose him the following year. They'll make every effort to sign him.
- If the Padres are healthy then 11 pitching spots are taken. The 12th spot will have some good competition.
- There's a good chance the Padres will carry Nick Hundley, Yasmani Grandal and Rene Rivera as catchers on the roster.
- Ryan Jackson and Alexi Amarista will compete for an infield spot. Kyle Blanks and Tommy Medica will be in the mix as well.
- Everth Cabrera has arrived at camp. Byrnes says he can't predict what Cabrera will do after his P.E.D. suspension.
- Byrnes talked to Andrew Cashner and he doesn't think there is any bad blood between them after the arbitration hearing. This was Byrnes first arbitration appearance as a GM. They weren't trying to knock him down they were just trying to place him in the salary structure. Byrnes says they haven't decided if Cashner will be the Opening Day starter. They'll decide fairly soon.
GM Josh Byrnes talks about Andrew Cashner's arbitration
Here's my notes from the interview on the Mighty 1090