Oh, hey, it's December. That means a lot of things to a lot of people, but to me it mostly just means not being able to go 30 seconds without hearing a song with bells in it or seeing a themed list. Since I have no musical (or any other discernible) talent, my seasonal contributions are limited to the latter. Hence this.
I went through the list of all 887 guys who have played for the Padres, and plucked out all the names that are even remotely Christmasy. I thought it would be a list of Chrises with a handful of other dudes sprinkled in, but the ratio shifted the other way. Here are all the Padres with even slightly seasonal names, broken into categories:
Reppin' the colors
Mark Bellhorn (bonus instrument!)
(and you'll need one or two of these if you want boughs of holly in your halls)
- like, a snowstorm
- the rein- variety, of course
- "Leon" is "Noel" backward. Thanks, Ellen Raskin.
- because of Washington Irving
- because I used Wikipedia to double-check that Washington Irving is who I was thinking of
- shares a name with the marquee newborn
- because of the occupation the baby took when he grew up
- manger padding
- don we now our Gaylord Perry
- the closest name to 'Santa'
- sharin' is carin'
- where you get la tree
- partridge in a pear tree
- just need two more wise men...
Actually, that gives me another, better idea.
Three wise men
Lastly, the Chrises