- Hinch leaves for Spring Training for 45 days on February 11th.
- The 7 player trade with the Rays was in the works for the last few months. The two teams had significant dialogue.
- The team wanted to fix some weak spots on the team. Once the Padres traded Joe Thatcher in the Ian Kennedy trade last year the team didn't have a reliable left handed reliever. The Padres had been watching Alex Torres hoping he could fill that spot.
- Brad Boxberger dominated AAA but wasn't the same strike thrower at the Major League level.
- Jesse Hahn was going to be a first round pick until his Tommy John surgery. He'll be ready for AA. He has really high end stuff. He throws really hard and has a really good breaking ball.
- The teams have to balance the here and now with what's possible in the future. They feel good about Torres being part of the bullpen and the upside of Hahn.
- Hinch doesn't want to concede anything. He wants the Padres to compete for the post-season. The Padres have a good team, but they need guys to stay healthy and perform.
- Yasmani Grandal was in San Diego getting a check up. "He's not full steam right now, but he's rehabbing well." They are going to use the 45 days of Spring Training to ramp up work. There's a real chance that Grandal could be with the team on Opening Day, but there's lots of physical tests he has to pass along the way.
- Carlos Quentin has been working out at Petco Park. He's been great and his spirits are high. It's important that leaves Spring Training healthy.
More from Gaslamp Ball