- A power hitter can change the game with one hit as long as a team's pitching can keep them in the game. "It proves what power can do."
- Black wanted Yonder Alonso, Chris Denorfia and Carlos Quentin to face Aroldis Chapman. Black was hoping that Alonso or Denorfia would get on base and Quentin would pitch hit for Luke Gregerson and hit the homer.
- Denorfia in Black's opinion is real good against left handed and fastball pitchers.
- Black senses that Quentin will be okay to play today. He was a late scratch yesterday, but as far as Black knows Quentin isn't being considered for a trade. They need him as a middle of the order offensive player for the next couple of years.
- The Padres will be playing during the trade deadline. GM Josh Byrnes and his staff are working the phones. He's talked over scenarios with other clubs, but both teams need to be motivated. "It takes two to tango."
- "We know what we need and we're trying to get it."
We know what we need and we're trying to get it. -Bud BlackBut they don't want to do anything outlandish that will weaken them in other areas. "We're trying." They're trying to strengthen their pitching. They feel good about their position players. They can't count on injured players coming back.
- Cory Luebke and Joe Wieland will not be pitching in a major league uniform this season. "It's doubtful." They'll hopefully be pitching in winter league.
- Black thinks that Will Venable has a legitimate chance to win a gold glove. "His name will be discussed in clubhouses across the National League, for sure."
- There will be no secrets tonight. The Padres know Mat Latos throws and the Reds know what Edinson Volquez throws. It'll be about which offense can take advantage of the pitcher's mistakes. "We need our guy to out pitch him."
- Mark Carlson will be the umpire behind the plate. "I like Mark he's solid." Both pitchers wear their emotions on their sleeves.
- Latos was awful good for the Padres in 2010. "I'm impressed by Mat's 'going to post' and being durable." He's matured and understands the responsibility of a Major League starting pitcher. He's taken care of himself and his work ethic is good.
- Black is looking forward to the Yankees series and Derek Jeter being in the lineup. Oakland gave Mariano Rivera a surfboard, the standard San Diego gift. "We can't double up on the surfboard, that's brutal. Maybe our surfboard is better."
Buddy Black discusses Padres trade rumors and the state of the team with Darren Smith