- Today marks the 10th anniversary of Tony Gwynn's last game and Rickey Henderson's 3,000th hit. The season finale was delayed because of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. If I remember correctly the season was originally supposed to end on the road but home games needed to be made up and as a result the season ended in San Diego against the Colorado Rockies. Padres fans had to exchange previously purchased tickets in order to make sure they could attend the historic day.
It's weird the things that you remember from a game. Kev and I were sitting in the upper deck of Qualcomm Stadium in left field. In addition to the souvenir ticket holder that still sits on my bureau, they also handed out give away poster that I turned into a paper airplane. After the final out of the game I let the airplane loose and it flew perfectly all the way onto the field. It was a great moment in San Diego sports history for many reasons.
- Today also marks the 13th anniversary of Game 1 of the 1998 NLDS and the Season Two premier of Dawson's Creek. The Padres ended up beating the Braves by a score of 3-2 and Dawson and Joey shared "their first true romantic kiss".
- On October 10th, it's the 27th anniversary of the Padres only World Series win. They beat the Tigers 5-3.
- Also on October 10th in 2004, Ken Caminiti died of a heart attack caused by "acute intoxication due to the combined effects of cocaine and opiates". His ashes are buried under a tree in Texas.
- On October 12th 2003, former Padres Owner Joan Kroc died of brain cancer. As owner she started Major League Baseball's first employee-assistance program for players and staff with drug problems
- On October 14th Dawson's Creek featured two songs by San Diego bands while Dawson and Joey frenched.
Padres Anniversaries this week