Jed Hoyer hotstove interview from John Weisbarth on Vimeo.
- Jed Hoyer has never gone to arbitration with a player in Boston or San Diego. They'll only go as a last resort. "These are players we like, these are players we don't want to sit in a room and make arguments why we should pay them less. Arbitration is a bad process."
- Hoyer hopes that the Padres have made enough moves to satisfy fans after the Adrian Gonzalez trade. He thinks that even though they can't replace Adrian, they can create a more stable and balanced lineup.
- The increased strength up the middle will make the Padres' pitching better. Hoyer thinks the team will be really good defensively only weakening at first base as a result of the Adrian trade. "Cameron Maybin will be at least as good as Tony." Ryan Ludwick will improve moving from right field to left field.
- The new Padres player development program that introduces them to San Diego is very important. Hoyer wants to get them acclimated to being a Padre, so that when they do get called up they won't be surprised.
- Casey Kelly "is so athletic". He was a quarterback and a shortstop prospect. He's an all around athlete. He'll develop into a top of the rotation guy.