- "It's been a pretty frustrating last three days. No question. We've lost games at the wrong time. There are 5 games left and given that we're playing the team we're facing we still control our own destiny. There is still time left, but it certainly been a frustrating couple of days."
- "I've certainly been in these positions before. It feels pretty dark when you're in that position. No question."
- There is no point in worrying about winning 4 out of 5, you just have to focus on and win each game.
- "I see a team that has really struggled to score runs. Looking back at the last 35 games or so, we have a really hard time scoring more than 2 or 3 runs in a given night. We haven't gotten the big hits. Whenever teams don't hit and don't score runs people always accuse the team of being lethargic. I see just the opposite. I see a lot of guys that care a ton. There are probably a lot of guys pressing."
- Hoyer didn't make much of Adrian Gonzalez's comments to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was interested to hear Adrian's response. "The idea that he is distracted right now I think is ridiculous." It's a dead topic, he doesn't owe anyone an apology. It's better to let it go. He's a great leader for the clubhouse and his focus is here.
Padres GM Jed Hoyer: "It's been a pretty frustrating last three days."