XX Sports Radio: Jed Hoyer Interview (MP3) with Darren Smith
- Hoyer says that Michael Jordan's performance as a AA player in 1994 was "pretty remarkable" for not playing in 18 years. Hoyer was surprised Jordan didn't have more power.
- Jed says that the August schedule seemed daunting before the season started. They came off a "remarkable" road trip.
- No one wants to look beyond tonight's game but Hoyer and his team are working hard to set a post season roster.
- Hoyer is happy that the Padres have equaled last years team's win total at the of August. "This roster is capable of winning over the long haul." The number itself is meaningless.
- There is a chance that Tony Gwynn Jr. can come back and help the team, even if it is only defensively. They really can't determine if he will be back this season until he gets his cast off. Gwynn had an amazing defensive year, he was as good as anybody in baseball. People focused on his struggles at the plate.
- Denorfia will play centerfield and provides some offense to the position. "Chris Denorfia has had a remarkable year for us". Will Venable can move to center in a pitch. Luis Durango is an unconventional player who could fill in.
- You need players in the outfield that are balanced between offense and defense. "It's a balancing act." Denorfia has played more centerfield than Venable. Hoyer likes Venable's contribution from the corner outfield spots.
- Mat Latos will get extra rest this week and it won't be the last time that they push one of his starts back. "Rest and shoulder strength is the real focus at this point." They never want him to pitch when he feels overtaxed. Latos has thrown over 100 pitches in half of his starts.
- Hoyer says that it's not a good idea to have a young pitcher throw 130 pitches even if he is throwing a no hitter.
- Hoyer compares Cody Ross to Scott Hairston. The Giants admitted that they picked him off the waiver wire to block the Padres. The Padres put in a claim or two every day. Sometimes they do it to block other teams from acquiring players and other times to make sure that players won't clear waivers. "It's not only who you can acquire but who can't trade."
- Waiver claims always seem to leak because it is an email sent to hundreds of people.
Cory Luebke is throwing really well in AAA. "He's a guy we can spot start in September to give guys a rest." Luebke had an oblique strain that kept him from throwing too many innings this season so he is ready to play.