I thought I'd just put together a list random Padres stuff that at one time I was going to write about, but figured they didn't really warrant a full post.
- A few nights ago when Mat Latos was struggling to find the plate and getting hammered by Marlins hitters, I was thinking how pointless it was to allow the winning team to pile on runs. It made me think back to one of the ways that I came up with to revolutionize baseball back in 2006. I think once a team gets the lead they should stay on defense until they either give up the lead or they record all 27 outs. It would keep the games closer, shorter and there would likely be more lead changes with the pitcher tiring quicker.
- You may have a decent argument for moving Latos back to AAA Portland if he isn't having success in the big leagues, but it seems to me that moving him to help his confidence isn't a good reason. If there's one thing I can tell about his demeanor is that he seems cocky as hell, confidence isn't an issue for him.
- I knew there was something not quite right about my Cooperstown Collection 1984 Padres Hat I purchased through MLB.com. It wasn't until Throwback Thursday that I noticed that the front yellow panel is shaped differently. Now I feel like I need to buy another more authentic 1984 hat from the Padres store for $45. Darn you Cooperstown Collection! Darn you to Heck!
- I like winning free Jack in the Box tacos at Padres games. I think this is part of the new advertising plan that the Padres are following this year. They are trying to create a better fan experience by having the advertisers become partners. Mentor says: "If they are adding to the experience instead of interrupting it, it's better for the fans and better for the sponsors coming in." I say, keep the tacos coming and then next maybe everybody should get throw pillow from Jerome's.
- Pad Squad Amanda gave Jon and I our free Jack in the Box taco coupons last week. I thought of her while collecting my free tacos yesterday.
- We're supposed to do a Gaslamp Ball night at the ballpark this season. Somebody at SBNation contacted us about going on a weekend when the Dodgers were in town and then going with True Blue LA, but we nixed it. We're friendly with the guys at True Blue LA, but I don't want to sit next to Dodger fans and I certainly don't want to be responsible for bringing more Dodger fans to Petco. Does anybody have any suggestions for when to do this?
- One of my big questions about the 2010 season was "Who is going to replace Chris Young when his season inevitably ends prematurely due to injury?" It looks like that's the direction we're headed now. This is exactly what happened last year. He was injured early, we were told it wasn't a serious injury. Next he'll come back and struggle or his season will just end here. Poor CY, poor us.