Well that's that. We gave it our best shot, but all that momentum from last year came to a screeching halt as the Padres fell to the Mariners in the Spring Training opener. It's time to start looking toward 2011.
Good Game Thread turn out by Gaslamp Ballers, especially considering there was no real media coverage of the game.
Jim Street has most of the details on Padres.com, but here are some quick notes:
- Matt Stairs, the artifact from the Great White North, hit the first Padres home run of the spring.
- Kyle Blanks, did not collapse under his own weight, but went 2-2 with a single and a double.
- Chris Young, miraculously did not get hurt, but gave up 3 hits and a run in his one inning of work.
- Heath Bell gave up a solo shot.
- Radhames Liz let the team down by giving up 6 runs.
From Lookout Landing:
Tony Gwynn Jr. struck out today, which reminded me that Tony Gwynn Jr. struck out 65 times last season, while Tony Gwynn Sr. struck out 70 times between 1993 and 1996. Curse Mrs. Gwynn and her inferior genes.