XX Sports Radio: Jed Hoyer Interview Part 2 (MP3)) with Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton
- Baseball has become a younger mans game. Speed and defense are valued more.
- Hoyer says we need to invest in the future here, build up scouting staff, hire a ton of new people, keep spending a lot of money in the draft. The Padres are spending a lot of money outside of the Major League Payroll.
- Luis Durango is a talented, exciting and fast player. He'll probably see some time in the big leagues this season, but start the season in Portland.
- Rocco Baldelli is not on Hoyer's radar. Baldelli needs days to DH and he's better suited for the AL.
- It takes a lot of discipline to not rush players through the farm system. Hoyer says one of the big mistakes he made was rushing Cla Meredith to the big leagues. They traded him to the Padres and it worked out poorly for Boston.
- Hoyer is hopeful Blanks can be a power hitter to protect Adrian Gonzalez. Another way to protect a hitter is to put runners on base in front of the hitter.
- Hoyer says patience is important during the off season. Players have unrealistic expectations early in the off season so it takes time for their price to come down.