XX Sports Radio: Kevin Towers Interview (MP3) with Darren Smith
- Towers thinks Moorad has been great to work with. He put his focus on the amatuer draft. They identified and targeted Donovan Tate in April.
- A high school player is moving quickly through the system if he moves one level a year. That would mean 4 years until the Majors.
- Gayton and Grady did the majority of the negotiations with Boras. Towers stayed in the background.
- Towers thinks that the new Batting Coach, the Peavy trade, the extension to Bud Black and the young guys getting consistent playing time has helped the team be successful.
- "I think the town is even starting to rally around these guys."
- This is the best baseball that Towers has watched in the last two years.
- Good things happen everywhere David Eckstein goes. He does it all. He's the perfect veteran to have around a young players. He's been mentoring players on and off the field. He enjoys his time in Southern California and his lovely wife is close in Hollywood.
- The Padres drafted Kyle Blanks in the 42nd round, but didn't sign him right away. "I'm not surprised he hit an in the parker, he wouldn't be my last choice."
- Gregg Olson is the new Padres Advance Scout. Moorad asked Towers to talk to Olson. They picked him up before Interleague play.