Part of me is happy that this Peavy trade left the Padres and Peavy a little bit frustrated. Peavy wants to get out of San Diego so bad and the Padres want to dump his salary and grab some prospects in the worst way. Me, maybe I'm a bad fan because I'm happy just knowing that those two entities are left frustrated. It makes me feel kinda good after being frustrated with the teams the last few years.
My favorite part of today was the little surprise trade in the middle of all the Peavy trade talk. It was like cracking open a fortune cookie and finding a message that says "look behind you" and there is a clown standing there. That's how I feel about the Tony Gwynn Jr. trade. I know people are a little bit pissed off because they think Gerut is a better player than Gwynn and we could have had Gwynn when he was on waivers but it doesn't matter much to me. I don't think we're going to see a noticeable difference. Plus it'll be cool having our third Gwynn on the Padres.
I was telling Dex that my only concern is how they handle the eventual dismissal of Gwynn. Ain't no way he's finishing his career here like his old man and the Padres are pretty good at ruining relationships between lovable ball players. Dex thinks it will be more like when Chris Gwynn left. The only difference was that we still had Tony the Gwynn so it wasn't like we were Gwynnless.
So those are my ridiculous thoughts on what happened today. As for tonight's game. Dex has been talking about Tim Lincecum being part Filipino all day today on Twitter, in case you didn't notice.
- Padres face Lincecum today who is part Filipino. Explains barrel man in Lincecum's locker.
- Padres face Lincecum today who is part Filipino. Explains why he refers to Bruce Bochy as "Uncle Bhoch-Bhoch".
- Padres face Lincecum who is part Filipino. Explains why his car chirps like a bird when he puts it in reverse.
- Padres face Lincecum today who is part Filipino. Explains his love of purple yam cake.
- Padres face Lincecum today who is part Filipino. Explains why he points at things with his lips.