People are kinda making a big deal of the syringe thing (here, here and in our own diaries). In case you haven't heard by now... and I'm not sure how that's even possible... Barry Bonds showed up and somebody threw a syringe at him. From what I've been able to figure, it was actually like one of those plastic tube things you use to measure medicine. A little oversized... no needle... I don't think it was even made of glass.
Now, I'm not advocating anybody throw stuff at people, but speaking as a person who's thrown peanuts and bits of trash at annoying Dodger fans, I can say, "Let he who hath not heckled, cast the first syringe!" Actually that doesn't make any sense.
What I'm trying to say is, I actually think this shows syringe throwing Padre fan's good sense of humor. The plastic syringe wasn't going to hurt anybody. And seriously, put it in the perspective of the shit (literally, in some cases) that truly psycho fans have thrown.
Let's rank them in order of most offensive/crass/dangerous. And this is off the top of my head so I'm positive I'm missing some :
- Bananas at black players at European socker games.
- Bags of urine. The logistics of throwing bags of urine kinda makes me giggle though.
- Batteries at Candlestick.
- Bleacher Creatures throwing knives at players.
- Balls of ice.
- Beachballs. Seriously, watch the game, Dodger fan. Leave your stupid beachball at home and quit bringing them to San Diego.
Again, I encourage everybody to not throw crap onto the field, but at the same time, I don't think this was that big a deal.