Pregame interview with Josh Byrnes
- Byrnes thinks the Padres pitching is better this year than last and has the potential to be dominant.
- Byrnes decided to carry three catchers because Yasmani Grandal isn't quite ready to catch full time after his injury and they want to control his workload. Rene Rivera is out of options so they didn't want to expose him to waivers. Rivera showed the team that his defense can really impact the game and he's worked well with the power arms. Nick Hundley is a really solid player.
- Tommy Medica made the team with his bat and his ability to learn another position.
- Carlos Quentin's injury is not related to his other knee issues. He tried to make a sliding catch and got a bone bruise. The Padres Medical Staff is really encouraged by Quentin's health and think we'll see a healthier version of him after his recovery.
- Josh Johnson could be back by May. The swelling is down and he's feeling better. The test is when he starts throwing full speed.
- The NL West will be very competitive this season. Byrnes thinks it'll be "more equal" than people think and there's no pushover team. "Wins are hard fought in this division."
Postgame interviews with Andrew Cashner, Seth Smith, Chris Denorfia and Yasmani Grandal