Josh Johnson, the newest actual San Diego Padre, called in to MLB Network's Hot Stove program this morning. I watched it and DVR'd it so I could rewatch it and relay the goods to all you fine folks. Here's how it went down.
Paul Severino: I know it's early right now. Uh, where are you?
Josh Johnson: I'm in Las Vegas. It's early but I'm already done with my workout and, uh, so it's the perfect timing.
Paul Severino: See that? Nice. Very good. Speaking of early...
Yeah, that's going to get old really fast, both for you, the person reading this and me, the guy pausing and typing. I'm just going to summarize the main points and highlight the money quotes. Are bullet points okay with everybody? Alright, cool, I'll go with bullet points.
"I've always been a huge fan of Buddy Black." -Josh JohnsonJohnson was asked about signing early. "It was just a perfect fit." Once the Padres approached him with a deal he was "ready to sign, right then and there."
- Billy Ripken asked how frustrating it has been to battle injury and answer questions like the one he was still in the process of posing. It was kind of apologetic, like "Sorry I have to bring this up..." Josh replied that it has been very frustrating. "The toughest part is being hurt, having to go through all the rehabs and stuff. But right now I'm feeling good."
- He'll start throwing the first week of December.
- When asked how he's going to get back to his old self, he said he's going to "go down to San Diego and throw a lot of bullpens" and spend a lot of time getting to know the catchers.
- He and Nick Hundley have already texted one another.
- "I've always been a huge fan of Buddy Black." He estimates that 90% of visiting players see Black and wish they could play for him.
- He'll know he's "back" by his location and the last two feet of his fastball. He's always been a guy that needed full extension and last year it was causing him pain. "That's gonna be the key for me, being able to get all the way out there."
- He was asked what his favorite city is to visit during the season. "It was San Diego." He assured them that "No, I've been saying that for a long time."
- Johnson is really looking forward to wearing the camo "which I know my son will love".
Good stuff. Every day I love him just a little bit more, a little bit more.
More from Gaslamp Ball:
- Remembering Brad Brach
- Devin Jones Stats and Such
- Alex Dickerson Things and Stuff
- Josh Byrnes talks about Josh Johnson trade, pitching depth and Chase Headley
- Storm's Charitable Efforts Gaining MOmentum
- Padres One-Game Wonders
- Padres 2013 Season Recap
- Questions & Answers With Doc Roberts
- Biogenesis part 2 - Projecting Cabrera and Grandal
- Quiz: Padres with 50 or More Home Runs