Marty Caswell caught up with Padres manager Bud Black at the SDSU basketball game and asked him a number of questions.
Successfully stalked Buddy Black (sitting next to Stephen Strasburg) at the Aztecs game. Will post the interview later...— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) November 15, 2013
- Black is following local sports teams but also keeping tabs on Padres players. He's been talking to the Padres Baseball Operations staff to get ready for next season.
- Both GM Josh Byrnes and A-GM A.J. Hinch have been to Arizona several times to look at players in the Arizona Fall League.
- Joe Wieland is feeling good, he's pitched twice. Austin Hedges and Cory Spangenberg had good fall league performances. Tommy Medica did not.
- As far as injured players, Carlos Quentin is feeling better. Cory Luebke had a few setbacks but he's felt better the last 6 weeks. He'll be throwing this weekend in San Diego. Cameron Maybin is on the mend.
- Black thinks that instant replay is going to happen in 2014. He's a proponent. He thinks with today's technology that you have to use it.
- Black says his wish list for next season includes starting pitcher, a bat and maybe an outfielder, in that order. Bats are tough to find, so it's better to develop them, like Jedd Gyorko.