This is not a picture of Blake Tekotte singling against Reno last night. But it's close enough.
For the second day in a row, all four of the Padres' minor league teams lost but, hey, who cares? We swept the Mariners! Ho yeah! One win in next weekend's series and San Diego will win what I like to call "the season series". But anyway, for the purpose of this dispatch I'll try to act all glum about the kids losing a bunch.
Lake Elsinore Storm 2, Bakersfield Blaze 4: The Storm held a 2-0 lead after 5 1/2 but Bakersfield broke through for two in the bottom of the sixth off of starter Burch Smith and added two more in the next inning before he was hooked. Bakersfield's Billy Hamilton stole his 75th base in his team's 68th game. I really hope that whenever people ask him how he steals so many bases he tells them "Billy gets on."
Fort Wayne Tin Caps 4, Lansing Lugnuts 5: Lansing drew first blood with a run in the second but the 'Caps answered with one in the third and went up 4-1 after a 3 run 5th. The Lugnuts chipped away in the 7th before getting a 3 run inning of their own in the eighth to take a 5-4 lead they would ultimately hold. Ajay Meyer pitched a perfect 8th and 9th for his 20th save.
San Antonio Missions 1, Midland RockHounds 5: It was a case of too little too late for the Missions as they scored their only run on a wild pitch in the 7th to bring it to the final score. Missions starter Andrew Werner threw 60 of his 83 pitches for strikes but they caught too much of the plate as he dropped to 1-8.
Tucson Padres 1, Reno Aces 4: This one was like the Missions' loss in that the TuPads finally got around to scoring in the 8th but never made it much of a contest. Anthony Reyes fell to 0-4, giving up 2 earned on 7 hits and a walk in 3 2/3 innings. He only struck out one batter and now carries a 7.08 ERA
Top performers after the jump, yo.Top Performers:
- Yeison Asencio, RF, Fort Wayne: 3-5, R, 2 RBI
- Rymer Liriano, RF, Lake Elsinore: 2-4, 2B, HR, R, RBI
- Daniel Robertson, RF, Tucson: 2-4, HR, R, RBI
- Nathan Freiman, 1B, San Antonio: 1-1, 3 BB
- That's about it. Honorable mentions: Blake Tekotte and Matt Clark each hit a pair of singles for Tucson and Chris Bisson had three singles for the Storm. Lake Elsinore's Chris Franklin, Fort Wayne's Daniel Cropper, San Antonio's Robert Lara, and Tucson's Cory Burns and Erik Hamren all pitched one scoreless inning with at least one strikeout.