"I'll be back, guys. Just don't let the new guy use tape on the walls of my locker. That stuff is hard to clean off."
Tucson suffered another tough loss last night- their seventh in a row- but it was rightfully overshadowed by the parent team's beautiful 1-0 win over the hated Mariners which was occurring simultaneously. Also losing was every other team in the organization. Lake Elsinore fell 5-4 to High Desert, Fort Wayne was blown out 7-0 by Lansing, and San Antonio lost 10-6 in Corpus Christi.
Also of note was Andrew Cashner's first start with the Missions since being sent down to transition both his arm and his game back to starting after being used as a reliever since coming up with the Cubs in 2010. Until that point he had been used exclusively as a starter at every minor league level. Last night he was on a 50 pitch leash; he hit that mark after 3 1/3 innings. 33 of his 52 pitches went for strikes, a 63% success rate. Cash cut down three batters by way of strikeout, walking none while allowing two earned runs on four hits.
Top Performers after the jump.Top Performers:
- Jesus Merchan, 3B, Tucson: 3-4, 2B, R, RBI
- Jeudy Valdez, SS, San Antonio: 2-4, 2B, HR, R, 2 RBI
- Ali Solis, C, San Antonio: 2-4, 2 2B, R
- Justin Miller, DH, Lake Elsinore: 2-4, 3 RBI
- Casey McElroy, DH, Fort Wayne: 2-3, BB
- Chris Bisson, SS, Lake Elsinore: 2-3, 2 R
- Dustin Pease, P, San Antonio: 1 1/3 IP, H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 4 K
- Donn Roach, P, Lake Elsinore: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 1 ER, 7 K
- Josh Spence, P, Tucson: 1 2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 0 K