The Padres have planted a garden in the home team's bullpen. The Chef at Petco Park asked Head Groundskeeper Luke Yoder to create the garden so that he could farm it for ingredients in some of his dishes, like cotton candy and Cracker Jacks. Yoder says he was considering a garden anyway since he had them at his previous ballparks. In the end, they planted 16 different types of hot peppers and a variety of a different types of tomatoes. They plan to start harvesting their produce in July.
A few thoughts:
- I thought Pepper was banned at most ballparks.
- With all those peppers, Huston Street is no longer the hottest thing in the bullpen.
- The Padres are really taking their #1 Farm System ranking seriously.
- Maybe we can't beat other teams, we should try to beet them instead.
- Finally some hoes hanging around the bullpen that the player wives don't have to worry about.
- Fresh vegetables? Don't pitchers prefer cans of corn?