And then, with an extravagant flourish, Chase Headley held the pose, breath spent, passion on display, and finished the most amazing performance of the pasodoble San Diego had seen in 53 years...
When we last left the Game Rankings, we had just started May and hopes were high. We went into the first weekend and got swept. I shaved my beard. That was way back on May 6th. Let's see what's happened since then, like maybe 4 or 5 games at a time.... My memory is hazy so I am watching highlights and remembering generally what happened.
First off, was the May 7th game, a 3-2 win over the Rockies. Yonder Alonso went 2 for 3 and Edinson Volquez managed to get his first win of the season, holding the Rockies down, except for Drew Pomeranz, the pitcher, who smacked a home run confidently and cockily. Dale Thayer also scored himself his first save. This game was better than doublefest... Not real impressive otherwise... Better than Edinson Volquez NOT getting the win. Maybe better than the Denorfia Bomb Game because it was the first appearance of Dale Thayer, who's great........ 7th best game of the season at the time!
Next is the May 8th game, a 3-1 win over the Rockies. This game was epic, if only for the dude who drank the beer after catching a baseball in it. But it was also another Suppan win and it was Will Venable teasing me with his cycling abilities as he hits a triple and a double. I remember lots of happy things about this game. This was the third best game at the time if only for all the happiness and joy.
Third is the May 9th game, which was a loss on a getaway game to the Rockies, 6-2. Coming off of two of the happier games of the season, this loss didn't look so bad at the time, except that it really really really exposed our lack of a shortstop. Andy Parrino played well enough, but his error in the 6th, pretty much opened it up to take this loss. Still, it was hard to be bummed about that game considering the fact that we probably thought that May was going to turn out OK after all. Ohhhh our naivety. I'm listing this is actually our second "best" loss of the season since the heart of the order killed the ball, but it just wasn't to be.
Let's start with those three and then continue on. Give me some highlights over May so I'm sure not to miss anything. I'll shoot for doing 6 games a day until we're caught up.
- May 2, 2012 - Padres 5, Brewers 0 - Diggin' deep with Jeff Suppan
- April 21st, 2012 - Padres 5, Phillies 1 - Win #4, Luebke lights 'em up and smokes 'em out
- May 8th, 2012 - Padres 3, Rockies 1 - Catching foul balls with beers
- April 22nd, 2012 - Padres 6, Phillies 1 - Win #5, The Padres finally don't lose a series
- April 8th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 4 - Win #1, Easter Sunday
- April 27th, 2012 - Padres 5, Giants 3 - Nick Hundley goes 444
- May 1, 2012 - Padres 2, Brewers 0 - Mark Kotsay pinch hit bomb
- May 7th, 2012 - Padres 3, Rockies 2 - Edinson's first win. Dale's first save.
- April 11th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 1 - Win #2, Denorfia bomb
- April 26th, 2012 - Padres 2, Nationals 1 - Edinson Volquez settles in
- April 16th, 2012 - Padres 7, Rockies 1 - Win #3, 7 Doublefest
- May 4th, 2012 - Padres 8, Marlins 9 - Extra Innings #3, Anthony Bass 3RBI Triple
- May 9th, 2012 - Padres 2, Rockies 6 - Getaway game? More like Meh-taway game.
- April 13th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 9 - The Aaron Harang Nightmare
- April 18th, 2012 - Padres 4, Rockies 8 - Rubber Game #2 and/or Chase Headley 2HR
- April 19th, 2012 - Padres 0, Phillies 2 - Joe Wieland gets no run support #1
- April 28th, 2012 - Padres 1, Giants 2 - Anthony Bass Perfect through 5 2/3 and loses the game
- May 5th, 2012 - Padres 1, Marlins 4 - Richard and Buehrle pitch as fast as they can
- May 6th, 2012 - Padres 3, Marlins 6 - Cashner as the closer, but swept by the Fish
- April 30th, 2012 - Padres 3, Brewers 8 - Ryan Braun rapes the horses and rides off on the women
- April 24th, 2012 - Padres 1, Nationals 3 - Clayton Richard gets no run support #1
- April 25th, 2012 - Padres 2, Nationals 7 - Joe Wieland gets no run support #2
- April 17th, 2012 - Padres 3, Rockies 5 - The Jamie Moyer Nightmare
- April 12th, 2012 - Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 - Rubber Game #1 and/or Ian Kennedy
- April 10th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 4 - Extra Innings #2
- April 7th, 2012 - Padres 5, Dodgers 6 - Extra Innings #1
- April 14th, 2012 - Padres 1, Dodgers 6 - Joe Wieland's debut and/or Snorefest
- April 29th, 2012 - Padres 1, Giants 4 - Snorefest 2
- April 5th, 2012 - Padres 3, Dodgers 5 - Opening Day
- April 6th, 2012 - Padres 0, Dodgers 6 - Tony Gwynn Opening Day
- April 15th, 2012 - Padres 4, Dodgers 5 - Dale Scott Triple Play
- April 20th, 2012 - Padres 1, Phillies 4 - F_CK CHARITY.