PHOENIX - AUGUST 08: (FILE PHOTO) Manager Bud Black of the San Diego Padres watches from the dugout during the Major League Baseball game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field on August 8 2010 in Phoenix Arizona. It was announced on November 17 2010 by the Baseball Writers Association of America that Bud Black has won the National League Manager of the Year. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Here's some notes from Black's press conference:
- Both teams came out aggressive. The difference was Matt Holliday's ground ball through the hole and Carlos Beltran's homer on the cutter that broke the Padres' back.
- Will Venable's homer gave the team confidence. Lynn got stingy after that and wasn't giving away runs. He wiggled out of a few jams.
- Venable is using the whole field. He's squaring balls up. He's not expanding the strike zone. He's laying off balls and swinging at strikes.
- Evereth Cabrera got off to a slow start but hopefully his two hits will jump start his game.
- Black has seen Venable go through peaks and valleys. He's been able to stay out of a slump this year by being consistent. He isn't tinkering with his stance like he did in the past.