SAN DIEGO, CA - APRIL 5 : Streamers fall onto the field before the game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres in the home opener at Petco Park on April 5, 2012 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
|Final - 4.5.2012||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||0||0||0||2||1||0||0||2||0||5||7||0|
|San Diego Padres||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||2||0||3||5||3|
|WP: Josh Lindblom (1 - 0)
SV: Javy Guerra (1)
LP: Edinson Volquez (0 - 1)
In the end, I'm pretty sure I was just kidding about the first game of the season being a must win game, but at the same time... That would've been pretty good to win that game.
It started out as a pretty good pitchers duel. Nobody could get behind anything that Edinson Volquez or Clayton Kershaw were throwing. Infield was solid enough on defense and then in the third, Clayton Kershaw lined a shot down the third base line and ended up on second base somehow. Not to be outdone, Edinson Volquez got himself a base hit in the bottom of the third, but it proved to be his downfall as he had to run around the bases a bunch and the Padres weren't able to score despite loading things up.
After all that running around in the third inning, Volquez lost a bit of his mojo and gave up a couple runs, partially due to wildness and what looked like a tightened strike zone. It could've been worse as Edinson got the benefit of a blown call at home plate (after a wild pitch), which would've been good for another run.
Also, three errors don't help anybody's cause.
Interestingly enough. Kershaw didn't make it into the 4th inning. The Dodgers pinch hit for him after the third. Apparently, he had been fighting a stomach flu and finally had to go have explosive diarrhea in the clubhouse before factoring into the decision either way. (note: I don't know if he actually had explosive diarrhea in the clubhouse)
In the end, we lost though. It was sad, but it is what it is.
Game #1: Best game of the year so far. Also, worst game of the year so far.
Other things to note:
- Yonder Alonso had a couple of hard shots forcing the Dodger infielders deep into their positions, but couldn't leg out base hits. I have discovered that he is slow.
- Cam Maybin had a long fly ball hit him in the glove only to fall to the ground. I silently thought to myself, you owe us one, Cam Maybin.
- Cam Maybin heard my cry in the 8th, when he hit a two run home run, seriously crushing a ball into the left field deck, just missing the giant paint can.
- Matt Kemp also had a 2-run home run, fulfilling his obligation to carry the Dodgers on his shoulders until Magic Johnson gets around to buying his zombie army.
- Orlando Hudson was all hustle today.
- Bud Black will apparently not give the fans the pleasure of seeing Andrew Cashner unless we have a lead in the 8th inning. Seriously, I wanted Cashner.
We'll get another shot at the Dodgers tomorrow. I'm hoping that the Dodger players all forgot to wash their hands and ate whatever it was that Kershaw ate. I don't want anybody to get hurt, but if their tummies are going to betray them, I want the Padres to be the ones to take advantage.
Also, we saw Magic Johnson from across the way. When Matt Kemp hit his home run, Magic stood up and made it rain hundies on the Dodger dugout. I saw it with my two eyes.
Roll Call: Jonathan Holmes, jodes0405, kevintheoman, scout1222, Nater Tater, abara, Mr. Meadows, padreroach, cubbuster, sixpakfrombelgium, StrangeBroP25, greekpadre, Hormel, Friar Fever, SolanaFan, Winfield's Ghost, Stephen (shaynes41), DubBlack, Natrone Means Business, turbopan, LLcoolRay, FriarFaithfulForever, B Cres, Teixeira Who?, IputtheYinTony, Zach (maestro876), Dubsco, TheThinGwynn, All Things SD, padmadfanman, JollyWaffle, field39, Rich Garcia's defective eyes, Drama, ariz2cali, Jordan_Ming, Ketchup, london_balling, sdchicken, isaic16
You know who carried the Open Thread last night? Friar Fever and greekpadre. If you're feeling a little warm and still craving a gyro, you can credit those two Gaslamp Ballers.