In the end, I went with the popular vote for Sunday's game. Though it was close, it took the spot as the second best game of the season. Dominating performance overall and Nick Hundley demonstrated a bit of why he deserved a contract extension. I could really see the case for the game being third best overall also. The first win is a sweet one and there's nothing like a grand slam.
But we press on!
Last night's game, had it turned out to be a win, would've gone down as a nice example of a pitching duel. As it was, since it was a loss, it's the perfect example of why people want to move the fences in. I know that you think you have European sensibilities, but we're in America now. We like to watch people score. Because scoring offers a more obvious opportunity to do a little dance or high five your neighbor.
Say your pitcher strikes a dude out on a nasty slider. Do you high five? Maybe so. Depends on the situation. Not everybody uses the same rules.
When your team scores though, even if you're behind, you can rest assured that you simply need to find somebody wearing Padres gear and you will both know that it's appropriate to high five.
That's beside the point for last night's game. After much deliberation, I'm putting that game 9th. It was moving along at a really nice clip until we finally lost. There was a bit of excitement towards the end for those who managed to stay awake. Clayton Richard looked really good. Bud Black got tossed, which is always kinda fun.
If I was gonna re-watch a game later, and it had to be a loss, I'd re-watch a good chunk of that game before reliving Old Man Moyer, but I'd probably watch Joe Wieland blow through the Phillies lineup instead, because Joe Wieland looked awesome. Also, our defense is still pretty embarrassing and this game showed some of that terrible defense off.
Full rankings after the jump.
- April 21st, 2012 - Padres 5, Phillies 1 - Win #4, Luebke lights 'em up and smokes 'em out
- April 22nd, 2012 - Padres 6, Phillies 1 - Win #5, The Padres finally don't lose a series
- April 8th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 4 - Win #1, Easter Sunday
- April 11th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 1 - Win #2, Denorfia bomb
- April 16th, 2012 - Padres 7, Rockies 1 - Win #3, 7 Doublefest
- April 13th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 9 - The Aaron Harang Nightmare
- April 18th, 2012 - Padres 4, Rockies 8 - Rubber Game #2 and/or Chase Headley 2HR
- April 19th, 2012 - Padres 0, Phillies 2 - Joe Wieland gets no run support #1
- April 24th, 2012 - Padres 1, Nationals 3 - Clayton Richard gets no run support #1
- April 17th, 2012 - Padres 3, Rockies 5 - The Jamie Moyer Nightmare
- April 12th, 2012 - Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 - Rubber Game #1 and/or Ian Kennedy
- April 10th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 4 - Extra Innings #2
- April 7th, 2012 - Padres 5, Dodgers 6 - Extra Innings #1
- April 14th, 2012 - Padres 1, Dodgers 6 - Joe Wieland's debut and/or Snorefest
- April 5th, 2012 - Padres 3, Dodgers 5 - Opening Day
- April 6th, 2012 - Padres 0, Dodgers 6 - Tony Gwynn Opening Day
- April 15th, 2012 - Padres 4, Dodgers 5 - Dale Scott Triple Play
- April 20th, 2012 - Padres 1, Phillies 4 - F_CK CHARITY.