- Padres have been in close games but haven't been winning them. The Padres are leading the league in walks. They've both issued the most and drawn the most. They're still striking out a lot. "We just haven't played well."
- "We realize we have to play well to win, we don't have to play perfectly to win." If the Padres play well they can win a lot of games.
- Injuries have hurt the Padres. They lost their opening day starter and their clean up hitter. The team is missing Carlos Quentin's presence in the middle of the line up. Quentin is getting close to playing in 2 weeks then he'll play 5 to 7 rehab games.
- Byrnes can't confirm it but it is a possibility that Dustin Moseley is done for the season.
- The Padres bullpen has pitched the most innings in the National League. They need the starters to carry more of the load.
- Byrnes says Andrew Cashner's use will be monitored closely. Cashner says he feels good. Ideally they'd like to transition Cashner into a starter.
"Yeah. I think, as we've all seen, he has got three pitches, he has a nice delivery, he really has the ingredients for a starter."
"He might have the ability to be a really good closer."
- On Scott Miller's article about Orlando Hudson being a short timer:
Byrnes thinks the team is trying hard, but no player is assured of anything. If the Padres have better alternatives in house then they will use them.
"I understand why it gets focused on O-Dog with his contract and all of that, but I just think that If we're not playing better then we've got to find alternatives and we've got to try other things to get better results."
- Will Venable has been more consistent with his mechanics.
"Chase has clearly been our best player so far and that has not been lost on us."
"It's something we have to consider. Would we do it? How much would it help? I don't know."The low scoring games may not be as entertaining. Since Petco Park opened the Padres have had the smallest home field advantage in the division. In the past 9 years the team hasn't been able to figure it out.