DENVER, CO - APRIL 17: Starting pitcher Jamie Moyer #50 of the Colorado Rockies returns to the field for an interview after he became the oldest player in the major leagues to earn a win as the Rockies defeated the Padres 5-3 at Coors Field on April 17, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
OK, so this is getting kinda tough now.
Walk with me through my reasoning... This game was not better than any of the wins, obviously.
It was a better game than the Dale Scott Triple Play. It felt better than getting shut out. We're coming off of a win so it felt better than Opening Day.
And now we have a bunch of games where it might fit in. Being the second game of a the series, I'm tempted to say that this game wasn't as bad as losing to the Diamondbacks and Ian Kennedy - that being a rubber game - but from the perspective of "we should've beaten Jaime Moyer", it does feel worse than that.
At the same time, for all the age jokes, it's hard not to be happy for Jamie Moyer, especially if you're an old man like me. And we still have a shot at taking the series and realistically, if you can take the series, you feel good even with a loss sprinkled in.
Therefore, assuming my rankings are still pretty much where I want them to be, I'm placing this game 5th. We've had much worse losses and it's probably just me, but at this point, I'm kinda settled in and it doesn't hurt so bad.
FIFTH BEST GAME OF THE SEASON!
And yeah, I kinda get the idea that Moyer was throwing junk up there and pro ballplayers should be able to crush the ball, but the big leaguers differentiate themselves by being able to crush the 90+ mph balls, not the beer league junk. I think that's why Kotsay did so well last night. He probably plays co-ed softball on his days off.
- April 8th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 4 - Win #1, Easter Sunday
- April 11th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 1 - Win #2, Denorfia bomb
- April 16th, 2012 - Padres 7, Rockies 1 - Win #3, 7 Doublefest
- April 13th, 2012 - Padres 8, Dodgers 9 - The Aaron Harang Nightmare
- April 18th, 2012 - Padres 3, Rockies 5 - The Jamie Moyer Nightmare
- April 12th, 2012 - Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 - Rubber Game #1 and/or Ian Kennedy
- April 10th, 2012 - Padres 2, Diamondbacks 4 - Extra Innings #2
- April 7th, 2012 - Padres 5, Dodgers 6 - Extra Innings #1
- April 14th, 2012 - Padres 1, Dodgers 6 - Joe Wieland's debut and/or Snorefest
- April 5th, 2012 - Padres 3, Dodgers 5 - Opening Day
- April 6th, 2012 - Padres 0, Dodgers 6 - Tony Gwynn Opening Day
- April 15th, 2012 - Padres 4, Dodgers 5 - Dale Scott Triple Play