We pledge to:
- Avoid using language, name-calling or slurs that put others down because of such differences as race, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or religion.
- Remind teammates who use "put down" language that "that’s not ok on our team."
- Treat all teammates with respect.
- Believe that Team Respect is a winning strategy: When each team members feel safe and respected, they can play their best for the team.
- Take leadership to set an example of respect for students in our school as well as opposing teams and fans.
Signed: The San Diego Padres
San Diego Unified School District Superintendent, Bill Kowba hopes they will be role models for student athletes around the county:
"We applaud the Padres for signing this pledge, and we hope that the students involved in athletic teams throughout the District follow their great example,"