Not a good week for the Padres organization. The big league Padres continued to stink. Most of the Padres top prospects cooled off as well. There were a few highlights, but overall it was a mediocre week for the Padres farm system.
1) Casey Kelly, RHP, Grade B+: at AA. 26.1 IP, 4.10 ERA, 4.12 FIP, 19 K, 9 BB. Kelly did not have the best week. His first start of the week he got rocked for 5 ER's in 5 IP. His second start he was better giving up just 1 ER despite giving up 9 H in 5 IP.
2) Simon Castro, RHP, Grade B+: at AAA. 20 IP, 8.55 ERA, 6.09 FIP, 16 K, 13 BB. Castro did not have a good start this week giving up 5 ER, on 7 H and 3 BB over 5 IP. His lack of control is still hurting him as he's given up 3+ BB's in every game he's pitched.
3) Jaff Decker, OF, Grade B+: at AA. 320/457/747, 7 HR, 7, 18 BB, 24 K, 3 SB, 94 PA. Decker has been striking out a lot recently, he has 15 K's in his last 8 games. He has just 5 hits over that time, but 3 of them left the yard. He does continue to walk at a good rate though, with 1 BB in each of his last 6 games.
4) Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Grade B: at AAA. 400/474/729, 7 HR, 17 K, 11 BB, 3 SB, 97 PA. Rizzo has stayed hot. He was just 7 for 26 this week, but that was with 2 HR's and 6 BB's. So far this year he has a better BB% (11.3) and K% (17.5) than last year where he finished AA with rates of 9.7% and 21.5%.
5) Donavan Tate, OF, Grade B-: A. 316/435/421, 3 K, 4 BB, 2 SB, 23 PA. Out maybe another month after colliding with E. Williams.
6) Corey Luebke, LHP, Grade B-: MLB, 14 IP, 5.14 ERA, 2.80 FIP, 16 K's, 5 BB's. He's pitched really well, and he showed all of us his huge cojones. Since that nasty game where he gave up 6 runs in the 11th to Cincy he hasn't given up an ER in 6 appearances. Over that time he has thrown 8 K's to just 1 BB in 7.2 IP.
7) James Darnell, 3B, Grade B-: at AA. 405/521/703, 4 HR, 8 K, 19 BB, 94 PA. He has cooled off and started actually striking out. After striking out just once in his first 14 games he's struck out 7 times in his last 6 games. He does have 3 HR's in his last 8 games, but his AVG and OBP have dropped off (although 405 and 521 on the season is not bad). Over those 8 games he is 8 for 34, not exactly slumping, but not the tear he was on before. He does have 10 games in a row without committing an error, which is perhaps a very good sign.
8) Reymond Fuentes, OF, Grade B-: at A+, 296/326/370, 18 K, 3 BB, 4 SB, 86 PA. He has tripled his season walk total from 1 to 3 over the last 7 games, but he still walks too little and strikes out too much to be productive.
9) Drew Cumberland, INF, Grade B-: at AA. Still on the DL. I did find out what he's on the DL for though, vertigo, wtf.
10) Jedd Gyorko, 3B, Grade B-: at A+. 379/444/598, 3 HR, 15 K, 13 BB, 99 PA. Gyorko is not quite as hot as he was the previous week, but still doing well. Over his last 7 games he is 11 for 30 with a HR and 4 2B's.
11) Johnny Barbato, RHP, Grade B-: Still not seeing him on any rosters.
12) Matt Lollis, RHP, Grade C+: at A+. 26.1 IP, 5.13 ERA, 5.44 FIP, 29 K, 8 BB. Had 2 very good starts this week. He gave up 4 ER's over 10 IP while striking out 15 compared to just 1 BB. He did give up a HR in each of his starts though, which makes him 5 for 5 in giving up a HR a game this year. At least he's really cut down on the walks which makes those HR's a little less damaging.
13) Adys Portillo, RHP, Grade C+: at A. 11.1 IP, 7.15 ERA, 6.25 FIP, 11 K, 8 BB. In his only game this week he started out pitching great before hitting a wall in the 5th. Over all he ended the game with 2 ER, 5 K, 3 BB, in 4.1 IP. I think both the runs were knocked in after he was taken from the game.
14) Keyvius Sampson, RHP, Grade C+: at A. 21 IP, 1.29 ERA, 2.13 FIP, 28 K, 8 BB. Sampson had a good start this week giving up no runs on 1 H over 5 innings while striking out 7. He did walk 4 guys though, which is a little alarming following his previous start in which he issued 3 BB.
15) Juan Oramas, LHP, Grade C+: Likely out another month or so with neck spasms.
16) Edinson Rincon, OF-3B, Grade C+: at A+. 375/427/538, 1 HR, 14 K, 8 BB. He is killing it. He currently has a 5 game hitting streak with 4 multi-hit games. Over his last 7 games he is 15 for 30. Hopefully we start to see a little more power and a few more walks. His fielding still sucks, they should move him to corner outfield already.
17) Jason Hagerty, C, Grade C+: at A+. 299/351/493, 2 HR, 19 K, 5 BB. Had a pretty good week going 7 for 20 with a HR. His defense is terrible though, he has 5 errors and 2 PB's, while throwing out just 27% of runners this year.
18) Logan Forsythe, 2B, Grade C+: at AAA. 307/430/520, 4 HR, 22 K, 15 BB, 2 SB. Had a good week, hitting safely in every game but one while walking as many times as he struck out 7.
19) Blake Tekotte, OF, Grade C+: at AA. 375/464/675, 6 HR, 16 K, 12 BB, 6 SB. Swinging the bat really well. Over his last 7 games he is 12 for 25 with 4 HR. He also has more walks (4) than strike outs (3) during that time.
20) Zach Cates, RHP, Grade C+: at A. 15.1 IP, 6.46 ERA, 3.18 FIP, 19 K, 10 BB. Had the worst line I've seen this year recording just one out while giving up 6 ER, 3 H, 3 BB. At least the one out was a K.
21) Jonathan Galvez, SS, Grade C+: at A+. 254/341/352, 1 HR, 21 K, 8 BB, 6 SB. He has really been struggling.
22) Jose De Paula, LHP, Grade C+: at A+. 19 IP, 5.21 ERA, 3.87 FIP, 11 K, 7 BB. He had a decent outing on the 23rd, but on the 29th he had a start that was nearly as bad as Cates'. He gave up 7 ER on 7 hits while recording just one out. The only reason I think Cates outing is worse is De Paula at least didn't walk anyone.
23) Everett Williams, OF, Grade C+: at A. 300/391/300, 4 K, 3 BB, 4 SB, 23 PA. Out for the year. What a shame, he really needed a good year to even get back to prospect status.
Some other dudes worth mentioning:
Luis Durango, OF, AAA. 290/377/371, 1 2B, 2 3B, 10 K, 8 BB. Struggling over his last 6 games, just 1 H, 3 BB, and 4 K.
E-Cab, SS, AAA. 284/337/379, 1 HR, 15 K, 8 BB, 9 SB. Did not have a good week going 4 for 27 with 4 K and 2 BB.
Anthony Bass, RHP, AA. 28.2 IP, 3.45 ERA, 4.72 FIP, 18 K, 7 BB. Had an okay week. One game he had good peripherals, 5 K vs 0 BB, but gave up 5 ER and 9 H (3 HR). The other game his peripherals were not as good, but he only gave up 1 ER over 6 IP.
AAAron Poreda AAA, 13.1 IP, 3.38 ERA, 3.94 FIP, 11 K, and 8 BB. After a streak of 8 IP without a BB he started pitching like the Poreda we know giving up 5 BB in his next 1.2 IP.
Kyle Blanks, Rehabbing in AA, 260/321/360, 10 K, 4 BB, 1 SB, 56 PA. He has a 5 game hitting streak, but really isn't hitting that well. Over those 5 games he is just 5 for 21 with 4 K and 1 BB. The big guy did hit a triple though.
Cody Decker, AA, is tied for the minor league baseball HR lead with 9. His other stats are not very good though, just 5 BB and 26 K.
This week there were a few standout performances like Tekotte and Sampson who were both named to Baseball America's prospect hot sheet. Overall though it was not the best week for the Padres farm system or organization as a whole.