XX Sports Radio: Jed Hoyer Interview (MP3) with Darren Smith
The coaching staff and players have to block out these distractions.
Hoyer thinks the best chance the Padres have of reaching the post season is by winning the division.
It's hard to guess how hard the Phillies will play the Braves since they already clinched. You never know what will happen in that kind of series. "The Phillies have a responsibility to put their best team on the field for them for the postseason." "You hope that they'll play hard, I think they will." "It is a concern that teams will roll over."
- "It's been a pretty frustrating last three days. No question. We've lost games at the wrong time. There are 5 games left and given that we're playing the team we're facing we still control our own destiny. There is still time left, but it certainly been a frustrating couple of days."
- "I've certainly been in these positions before. It feels pretty dark when you're in that position. No question."
- There is no point in worrying about winning 4 out of 5, you just have to focus on and win each game.
- "I see a team that has really struggled to score runs. Looking back at the last 35 games or so, we have a really hard time scoring more than 2 or 3 runs in a given night. We haven't gotten the big hits. Whenever teams don't hit and don't score runs people always accuse the team of being lethargic. I see just the opposite. I see a lot of guys that care a ton. There are probably a lot of guys pressing."
- Hoyer didn't make much of Adrian Gonzalez's comments to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was interested to hear Adrian's response. "The idea that he is distracted right now I think is ridiculous." It's a dead topic, he doesn't owe anyone an apology. It's better to let it go. He's a great leader for the clubhouse and his focus is here.
Everyone deals with injuries, it's the wrong place to focus your energy.
Hoyer thinks Mat Latos struggled with his emotions over the last 4 starts. "He's a 22 year old kid with an incredible future, but I think that part of the pennant race and what has happened in September, he'll have to do a better job going forward." Latos carried the team for a good portion of the season, but there is a challenge of having a 22 year old as your ace.
Miguel Tejada has given the team more than what was expected of him. He wasn't expected to play everyday at short stop. He's given the team a ton of energy.
Ryan Ludwick hasn't been able to get on a hot streak. "He's struggled, I don't think there is any question about that." "That's what happens sometimes in mid-season acquisitions." There feelings about him haven't waivered. "We're looking forward to having him next year."
"We need to win tonight."
You have to tip your caps to Giants. They are on a good pitching run. "We've won 5 out of 6 in San Francisco, we have reason to be confident."