PETCO has been sponsoring an event called the "Dog Days of Summer" at Petco Park since 2004. In the past, 250 ticket holders could sign up and bring their dog to the ballpark, this year 500. They'd walk their dogs around the warning track before the game and then sit in the seats behind the "beach" in centerfield for the remainder of the game.
This year there is some controversy because the Padres won't allow certain breeds to attend the event. The Padres apparently have a secret list of 10-15 breeds and criteria that they will use to exclude your dog from the festivities. The Padres say it is an “internal document that we’re not at liberty to release” and as for the reason the banned breeds aren't listed on the application? “I don’t have a good answer for that.”
People are upset that their dogs are being excluded because of their breed. That's when we go to the expert, Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisper:
I deal with a lot of red zone cases, and I often hear people incorrectly blaming the breed. Any breed can cause trouble. The difference between an aggressive Chihuahua and an aggressive pit bull is that the bigger breeds can cause proportionately bigger damage.
It makes sense, all breeds of dogs can be aggressive, but only a few breeds can be dangerous when aggressive. But then Millan contradicts himself when naming the 9 most aggressive breeds: Alaskan Malamute, Boxer, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepard, Great Dane, Pitbull, Siberian Husky and the Rottweiler. :
In these dogs, it is not the size that matters, but the pure natural instinct. Dogs are man’s best friend, but these dogs can't always kick their natural habit of aggression.
- The Padres should just release the stupid list of banned dog breeds. Who cares? Stop being so secretive.
- The Padres should add ugly breeds and annoying breeds to the banned dog list. Pugs are disgusting looking.
- The aggressive breed dog owners should realize that they are the only ones that think their dog is just a big teddy bear. Keep their murderous mammals at home on a leash. Nobody wants to be eaten at a baseball game.
- Dogs are always begging for scraps from the table or to go outside. Now they want to go to a baseball game? Baseball games aren't meant for dogs, stay at home.
- PETCO should cancel this event, because aggressive dog owners might get their feelings hurt.