- Jonny Dub and I went to the game last night. At game time there were a lot of empty seats which surprised me until I remembered that Dodger fan shows up in the third inning. Sure enough once Dodger fan and his beach balls arrived the crowd soared to 40K plus. With this cool weather and the playoff atmosphere at the park it felt like October.
- Near the beginning of the game Jon starts texting Pad Squad Andre, who wasn't even at the game, saying things like "jbox misses you!" For the record I do not miss PSA.
- After the Dodger half of the second inning, Jon and I decided to get some food. We spotted and flagged down Mentor who gave us hearty handshakes. He looked us over and quickly determined Dex was missing. He inquired and we told him that Dex was tending a newborn. As he walked away he called to us - his voice trailing off "We're getting into the forties tonight!" Jon looked at me excited but I calmed him telling him that Mentor was talking about attendance rather than drinking Moorad's secret stash of malt liquor.
- In the bottom half of the second it looked like the Padres offense was finally ready to do some work. Jon and I were watching in the standing area behind home plate with our food. Chase Headley lead off with a double. Nick Hundley grounded out, advancing Headley to third. Will Venable steps to the plate and I start telling Jon that the Padres might as well put on the squeeze play because I've lost all confidence in Venable driving in runs. Sure enough he strikes out. Scott Hairston gets hit by a pitch. Everth Cabrera steps in and I tell Jon that they should try to squeeze with two outs. With the pitcher up next Cabrera strikes out looking. I don't know why he wasn't protecting, maybe like me, he thought Clayton Richard had a better shot of scoring Headley.
- Sometime in the middle of the game we see Pad Squad Loxie and Pad Squad Elizabeth. Loxie approaches, opens her arms for a hug, with a big smile on her face. Pad Squad hug coming my way, prepare for impact. I stand, open my arms. She hugs the guy in front of me. I slowly close my arms hugging nothing but air and sit down, deflated. We were introduced to Pad Squad Elizabeth, who, like us, was charming.
- It wasn't until the 6th inning that the Padres really got down to bizness. Anthony Gwynn lead off with a weak single. Everybody in the ballpark knew that Gwynn was going to steal second. It was a game of cat and mouse, with the crowd going crazy with every throw to first. I'm telling you it was electric and it felt like a playoff game. Sure enough Gwynn dives into second and umpire calls him safe. Chris Denorfia walks. Adrian Gonzalez battles at the plate and hits a broken bat grounder to the first base side and the Dodgers make a series of errors with Gwynn scoring. It takes minutes before the crowd realizes that the ball was called foul. That doesn't stop Gonzalez. With a new bat he drops a single into centerfield scoring Gwynn for real. Chase Headley walks loading the bases. Nick Hundley hits a sac fly that scores Denorfia. Uh oh, Will Venable at the plate, this can't be good. Did anybody notice Gonzalez at third communicating with Headley at first? Gonzalez was imitating Kuroda's leg lift. Venable strikes out looking.
- In the 7th and 8th the Padres really start hanging runs on the board, pulling away from the Dodgers. The crowd is so excited, I'm excited, I look over at Jon. He's fiddling with his camera. I lean my head over to see that he is watching a movie on his camera. Honestly this is what he's watching, I kid you not.
- Padres win! Time to get our Macy Gray on! You know, I kind of like the "Beauty in the World" video montage at the end of Padres victories. Apparently Jon did too, because he proclaimed that the song was just added to his wedding play list. Oh snap!
|Final - 7.28.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||4||1|
|San Diego Padres||0||0||0||0||0||2||2||2||X||6||8||0|
|WP: Clayton Richard (8 - 5)
LP: Hiroki Kuroda (8 - 9)
Roll Call: Drama, Zach (maestro876), jodes0405, TheThinGwynn, Rich Garcia's defective eyes, SDPads_1, Jonathan Holmes, Natrone Bomb, Hormel, tonoxtono, Wonko, theodore donald kerabatsos, TJB, polyrhythm07, Winfield's Ghost, Dubsco, podpeople, lamesapadresfan, creanium, justdave, Conor858, pasadenapadre, All Things SD, field39, Back2SD2006, Jorge Luna, Axion, abara, Ketchup, Tom Sawyer, Aussie fan, isaic16, whithd3, Jordan_Ming, eastbaysd, Enderplayer, TheMiracleTeam, soulSD, Teixeira Who?, FriarFaithful4Life, 03, BrianFantana, friarinchicago, Sam (sdsuaztec4), PullenHoseFriar, starsandbars, I8EtoDunbar, mbcarval, matthewverygood, LetBurroughsPitch, mrbarneydangles, AYEq, Boy Howdy, kevintheoman, The Kipper
Total Users: 55
Total Posts: 1776