XX Sports Radio: Jed Hoyer (MP3) with Darren Smith and Randy Jones
- We're seeing some statistical anomalies in Petco Park. A 17 run win and a one hit win.
- "The first run in Petco is so important." It brings your best relievers into a game and keeps their best relievers out of the game.
- You can't play one or two run games every night otherwise you are going to exhaust your bullpen.
Chase Headley won last night's game with his legs. Headley said that they had great advance scouting of the Giants. Sanchez had a slow delivery to the plate and allowed Headley to get into scoring position.
- Hoyer and the coaching staff talked to the players about not diving into bases head first.
- Buddy Black told Gwynn Jr. that he was going to play Scott Hairston for a few games because Gwynn had a slow start. Gwynn will start today after 5 days off. The Padres have a ton of confidence in Tony but if Hairston has a hot bat then they will play him and Gwynn will be on the bench.
- Hoyer isn't afraid to trade within the division. "If you feel like your best trade is inside the division then it is the smart thing to do."
- Chris Young is throwing a really hard side session. If it goes well he'll throw a simulated game in Cincinnati.
- "There's nothing that makes you feel worse about your own baseball career than seeing Mat Latos throw a change up at 86 or 87mph"