- The 25 man roster is set:
Catchers: Nick Hundley, Henry Blanco.
Infielders: Adrian Gonzalez, Edgar Gonzalez, Everth Cabrera, David Eckstein, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Luis Rodriguez.
Outfielders: Scott Hairston, Chase Headley, Brian Giles, Jody Gerut, Cliff Floyd.
Pitchers: Hill, Gregerson, Moreno, Ed Mujica, Jake Peavy, Chris Young, Correia, Silva, Sanchez, Heath Bell, Cla Meredith, Eulogio De La Cruz.
- Eckstein promises to be scrappy but warns that April isn't his month.
- The Padres couldn't afford Manny Ramirez. Towers says "He's making almost half of what our entire payroll is. For us to be competitive it would have been very difficult."
- Adrian Gonzalez doesn't want to be a leader, he wants to speak very quietly. “If I am a soft-spoken leader, I'm going to be a soft-spoken leader,” he said. “I'm not going to go out of who I am.”
- Towers thinks it's too early to blame Bud Black. “We hired him for the long term. It's probably not fair to evaluate him now, not for another couple of years."
- Peavy will be gone if the Padres don't win in the first half. The train is refueling in the station. “I'm sure Jeff and I will sit down and decide what's best for his organization going forward if we're not in contention and if there's interest (in Peavy),” Towers said.
- Ducksnorts isn't going to try to give you hope this season. They are going to make you feel guilty about not having hope and then they are going use the empty seats at Petco to spread out.
- Gregerson made the club. Arturo Lopez was not so lucky.
- The Braves are going to retire Maddux's number 31 in July. The Padres don't seem to have high standards for retiring numbers, we should retire his Padres number before them.
- Did you remember to make your 2009 Padres Predictions?
- Corey Brock interviews Nick Hundley about his first Opening Day.
- XX Sports Radio interview with Heath Bell (MP3)
- XX Sports Radio interview with Bud Black (MP3)
- A Dodger Fan (ewww!) put a lot of work into this Peavy vs. Kuroda breakdown and the least you can do is read it.
Are you going to Opening Day game?
Yes! Word to yo' mutha! (25 votes)
I would but I live out of town (33 votes)
No, I'm busy washing my hair (32 votes)
90 total votes