We are now officially in dead last in the NL West. 9 1/2 games out of first. We have the worst record in the National League and we are now tied with the Texas Rangers for the worst record in all of Major League Baseball.
Take a second to let that really wash over you. It's May 2nd and the San Diego Padres are tied with the Rangers for the worst record in baseball. WTF???
Now is as good a time as ever for a drunken, end of the world as we know it, "holy s**t what is happening?" post. Too early? No. At least not according to Jayson Stark. Enjoy this little nugget:
The Blue Jays, Padres and Rockies won't want to hear that only 10 of 152 playoff teams since 1982 finished April more than three games under .500. And just one team since 1935 -- the 1979 Pirates -- was more than three games under after April and won the World Series.
Here's a couple of good quotes regarding the trip to Philadelphia:
"Going to Philadelphia," pitcher Jake Peavy said. "Great place to hit."
"I love going on the road," (Adrian) Gonzalez said.
So how did our trip to Citizens Bank Ballpark workout for us? You know....the place Milton Bradley described so simply by saying "This park is a joke." Well, over three games we scored TEN runs. Eight of those were off of homeruns.
Things have to change and they have to change right now. Is the 2008 season over? Maybe. But instead of giving up...changes need to be made now. Changes have to be made right away for us to have any chance at all.
- Cut Jim Edmonds now. He can't hit (.160), can't field, can't run. Is this admitting a mistake? Is this going to cost us some serious cash? Yes, and yes. He has no chance of being in a Padre uniform in '09 and is only hurting us now. Is he going to be pissed about being treated like that? Probably. But too f**king bad, Jim. It's not our fault you didn't retire at the end of 2007 when you should have. This move will send some shockwaves through a clubhouse that badly needs a tsunami of shockwaves.
- Bring up Chase. Is he ready? Who the hell knows? He started slow in Portland, but has been improving as of late. His big arbitration date has passed. Enough already. Throw the fans a bone.
- Cut Justin Huber. I didn't understand this signing when it happened....and, quite frankly, I'm still baffled by it. The only redeeming fact of it was that he looked like jbox's twin. Well, jbox flatly denied this and Dex would never support it...so, now we're all bored with it. Other than his 3-run jack off of Randy Johnson, he hasn't done a damn thing. That and the fact that there are better defensive outfielders in that beer league sdsuaztec4 plays in should be enough.
- Send Colt Morton's ass back to San Antonio. He's 8' tall. Bud obviously hates playing him. He has no business in a big league uniform right now.
- Bring up Nick Hundley. Barrett is still at least another month out . Buddy would actually trust Hundley enough to play him occasionally and we could send him back to Portland when Barrett is 100% healthy. Bard can't handle this...he needs a break. After his 0-3 in the series finale against the Phillies, his batting average has now dropped down to .209. That's not our Josh. He's exhausted and needs a decent back-up,
- Sign Kenny Lofton. Say what you want about the 40-year old Lofton...but Jake is right . We have no team speed and Lofton woud definitely bring some of that. In 490 at-bats last season he batted .296 and knows how to play defense. With the addition of Lofton, you run a 4-man rotation in the outfield with him, Giles, Chase and Hairy.
- Trade or cut P-Keg. The fifth outfielder isn't going to see any significant playing time any way...so I'd much rather we brought up Jody Gerut to take that spot so we have a guy with speed that can pinch run off the bench and knows how to play some defense in all three outfield spots.
Something has to happen to kick-start this thing. This is bulls**t...we're better than this and we all know it. Obviously Buddy can't do it and a players only meeting couldn't cure anything either. We need to make changes...not massive, sweeping changes...but something that says "Get your s**t together....or this will only be the tip of the iceberg."