I HATE extra inning losses...despise them. So to drop yesterdays game in 17 was a killer. Losing a 17 inning game at home was worse...and worse yet, it was to the f***ing Dodgers. Losses like this one can sometimes send me into one of my "oh my God...we're never going to win another game" moods. This one was close...but what it did get me thinking about was some of the things that really concern me about this team as we close out the first month of baseball. I know we're only two games out, but I'm going to bitch anyway.
- STREAKABILITY ~ We need a good streak. We've won three straight games twice...but that's it. The rest of the time it's been a win here, two losses there...two wins here, a loss there. We need to break off like six or seven in a row. Look at the Giants. Those guys were dead in the water until they ripped off a hot streak and now they're right back at the top in the thick of things. We need a win streak...the Nationals would be the perfect team to help us start one.
- MIKE CAMERON ~ I'm a big fan of Cameron and I know he's a slow starter, but this has been a really tough month for him. What scares me is that at times he's been as clueless in the field as he has at the plate. I truly believe that this whole contract situation is a real problem for Cam right now. Now that the Padres have broken off negotiations, it's almost worse in a way. Now instead of trying too hard to impress the Padres...he's trying too hard to impress the entire league. We all saw the crazy money thrown around last off-season...Cam knows a good 2007 and he'll break the bank.
- JEKYLL & HYDE STARTING PITCHING ~ Aside from Jake, we never seem to know which "side" of our starters will come out. CY has had his ass handed to him in a couple of blowout losses. Clay seems to have settled down now and gotten over that damn blister. Boomer has a good outing, then a horrible one. Maddux has been fairly consistent. I'm not saying they've been bad...it just seems like we never who is going to be taking the hill for us.
- DEX COULD STEAL SECOND OFF OF US ~ Our catchers are doing a pretty good job with a bat in their hands...but the fact that we can't throw anyone out disturbs me. We've thrown out 2 out of 28 would be base stealers. There is some serious speed in the NL West and so far they have run wild on us. I hope this number is inflated in part because Josh spent some time on the DL...we'll see.
- KOUZ ~ I can't even imagine how much sleep Buddy and KT are losing right now over what to do with Kouz. Do you stick with him and hope he pulls himself out of the slump? Do you send him down to Portland to work himself out of it and risk crushing what confidence he may have left? Would platooning him with Branyan hurt him or help him? I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to what the right manuever here is. The question I ask is this though: Josh Barfield's numbers are nearly as bad as Kouzmanoff's numbers after one month. Let's say the trade never happened (and thank God it did because I LOVE Marcus Giles)...would we be as hard on Josh right now as we're all being on Kouz? I think we all need to take a step back and remember this kid has a grand total of 123 major league at-bats.